With the summer weather, one of the nice things to do is eat outdoors, be it after a hike or on the beach. But what kind of foods can we take along that are:
- Easy to transport and will not be bruised, squished or leak,
- Tastes good in the heat,
- Are not likely to melt or spoil or attract bees,
- Is not messy to eat AND
- Kids like to eat?
Not to worry – there are at least five answers! Here are the five healthy things we pack when out and about (and if you agree, please tell others by doing a clicktotweet #perfect #picnic #food):
- Corn on the cob – prepare night before and chill in fridge – tastes perfect midday! Click to tweet
- Peanut/almond butter sandwiches or wraps and carrots. Click to tweet
- Cherry tomatoes and slices of cheese. Click to tweet
- Scones – home-made and stuffed with whatever they like. Click to tweet
- Grapes and apples – perfect fruit that survives the heat well and is not messy! Click to tweet
Most importantly don’t forget the water – to both drink and wash hands before eating! We often get them to freeze water (don’t fill up the bottle all the way as water expands as it freezes) – so when it melts with the heat, it stays cold enough. Kids love it!
Alexandra T. Greenhill, MD, mother of three CEO and Co-founder myBestHelper