For many families, celebrating Chinese New Year (also known as Lunar New Year) means delicious food, great festivals and a memorable parade. Want to join in the fun?
Dining Out – Many families will be celebrating together with Dim Sum this weekend. If you’re still new to Dim Sum, here are some helpful Do’s and Dont’s of Dim Sum etiquette.
Dining In – Doing dinner at home? According to Huffington Post, great foods to celebrate the Lunar New Year include tangerines for wealth and luck, whole fish (head and tail intact) to represent a good beginning and end to the new year, pomelo for prosperity & lettuce wraps to bring rising fortune.
Celebrate with Activities and Festivals in and around #Vancouver – Here’s a quick glimpse at what’s going on around the city. All family-friendly!
Saturday Feb 1:
- Burnaby: Visit the Lougheed Town Centre to watch parades and performances
- Chinatown: Live performances at International Village Mall
- Langley: Learn about Chinese Astrology at Willowbrook Shopping Centre
- Richmond: Chinese New Year Flower and Gift Fair at the Aberdeen Centre. The fair includes dance & music performances
- Surrey: Celebrations at the Central City Shopping Centre
- Vancouver: Great stage performances at the Oakridge Centre
Sunday Feb 2:
- Burnaby: From 1-3pm only, celebrate at the River District Centre
- Chinatown: Chinese New Year Parade & Cultural Fair. The parade starts at 11am at the Millenium Gate.
- Chinatown: Temple Fair at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden, including Live Performances, workshops and games. There will also be a Children’s Corner all day long.
- Can’t make the festivities this weekend? No problem! The Lunar Fest is a weekend-long festival that includes storytelling, workshops and performances.
Looking for something completely different to do this weekend? LEGO Travel Adventure opens this Saturday Feb. 1 at Science World, where you can participate in building the largest LEGO mural in Canada!
No matter how you choose to celebrate the Lunar New Year, I wish you “Gung Hay Fat Choy”!
Stephanie, can’t-wait-to-eat-Dim-Sum-and-watch-the-dance-of-the-dragon, Community Manager at myBestHelper